Sunday, February 12, 2012

Learning Shapes At The Playground

Bubble has started Preschool two days a week recently and I'm struggling to get the timing for 'pick up' just right. I'm so worried about arriving late that Squeak and I end up with at least half an hour to kill each time. Luckily there is a great play ground just behind the school with slides and swings where we can have fun waiting.
Last week it had been raining solid and as usual we arrived way too early. The skies were clear but the play equipment was all wet and slippery, so Squeak was quickly getting bored waiting for her big sister.
She is very interested in shapes at the moment so I found a stick and drew some in the wet sawdust under the play equipment. I called out a shape and an action (ie: "jump to the circle") and Squeak would race around looking for the right one.
It was a fun way to spend a wet half an hour at the playground!



3 comments:

  1. WOW, such a great and spontaneous idea! Will do that for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that's creative. Very good. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello from Mozambique! I can't recall where I found your blog but I've been reading it for a couple weeks and love your ideas. I hope to do the stacked rainbow soon. I am a missionary living and working at a children's center and I have a dorm of 27, 4-8 year old boys, so I'm always looking for new ideas. The neat thing is, I just wrote a post on my blog today about doing something similar with shapes, except made out of construction paper taped to the floor. My blog is www.clearlyliving.blogspot.com if you'd like to see. Thanks for sharing all your great ideas! Laura

    ReplyDelete